Iron Monkey

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
tunis5000
Almighty Member

Post by tunis5000 »

This "discussion" again!?! :rolleyes: ;)
poop
Golden Member

Post by poop »

In my defense:
For once, I don't think I'm the one blowing 'race' out of proportion. You can be Caucasion and Chinese. You can also be of Oriental descent and be an American. I didn't mean it as a race thing. It was purely a cultural observation. I meant no attack on anyone fopr how they feel about this topic. It is just about movies, and I was trying to spark some discussion about why people think flying in Kung Fu movies is silly.

Back to relevant discussion:
I think most of us here are in agreement. Normal guys don't fly, that is just silly.

My point is that the people in the movies are NOT normal at all. The Iron Monkey is not a normal guy, obviously. If I went in with the preconception that the Iron Monkey was normal, I would leave the movie with two thoughts:
1) "Wow, Iron Monkey is a silly-ass name"
2) "That movie was dumb"

But... since I assumed that there were to be extraordinary characters in the movie, I left with these two thoughts instead:
1) "Wow, Iron Monkey is a silly-ass name"
2) "That movie was cool"
- p o o p
Viperoni
Almighty Member

Post by Viperoni »

I dont think Iron Monkey is silly...maybe not "ordinary"..... if there's such a thing anymore ;)
The Wraithlord
Golden Member

Post by The Wraithlord »

Whelp I won't be seeing it after all. I was over at the Bioware forums and they were talking about it there as well. Just about everyone says it is filld with the flying crap AND that it isn't nearly as good as CTHD. Seeing as CTHD was a good flick if you didn't mind the flying, that just tells me that IM is just a lesser movie not worth seeing.
In time, you too will understand what I do.
bitSLAP
Golden Member

Post by bitSLAP »

... superman has reasons why he can fly.
Because the sun gives him special powers? Why is that easier to believe than a character that is of higher intellect and can thus manipulate the world around him?

Wait, that sounds A LOT like the matrix, doesn't it? There WERE still rules in the computer world, but certain people could learn how to break them.

I think the problem that most people have with kung-flying is that there is normally an obvious paranormal element to a movie, such as Krypton, or virtual computer worlds. Instead we have the paranormal element being not so obvious. Kung-fu movies also have bullet dodging, flying sharp object catching, and other moves that are physically impossible.

Just something to think about :)

Anyway, I'll probably check the movie out despite the stupid name.