Idalia ya

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Idalia ya

Post by reno »

fun day here today . need to bring all are outdoor furniture indoors. and batten down the hatch's neighbors are already started putting stuff away this morning .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Idalia ya

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Same.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

You guys above me take care and stay safe!
------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

well know better tomorrow in the am -right now it looks like winds are are biggest worry . im about 4 miles outside the flood zone for Pasco county .
its 11:30 pm will know more and have a clearer picture in the am . the storm track looks way better then just 12 hours ago . but still calling for about 8-10 inch's of rain for us ! be interesting to see the report in the AM.
reno

Post by reno »

the track has improved for us as Idalia is more west in the gulf of Mexico .we still be getting wind and strong gust from time to time .but a lot better forecast this morning .the main track is still heading into the panhandle of Florida and as a cat 3 when it hits land !
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Sorry, it needs to go more East, my son is in Tally :)
reno

Post by reno »

we had one band of heavy rain and strong winds that lasted about 10 to 15 mins about 3:30 today they are saying about 4 am tonight were going to get hammer with winds in the 55 -70 mph gusts of wind and rain. temp. has drop about 10 to 15 degrees and winds picked up to about 10 to 15 mph right now at 5 :45 pm . we have are cars parked inside mine and a neighbors garage :)
psypher praying for your son .we came though a couple days after Michael hit just west of tally the damage was unreal and we heard this could be as bad or worst when it hits landfall !
reno

Post by reno »

its 11:30 pm heavier rain band now and they saying it could be a cat 4 when it makes land fall ! also its getting stronger and moving faster mph . winds here are not bad ! local news has a reporter at Hudson beach . they just film some fools at a home having a party in a know flood zone that is a mandated evacuation zone . (good luck to them if storm surge happens and they need to be evacuated ) i know the location and even when we were young and dumb we would of been gone due to know flooding in that area !
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I read that someone has an idea to lessen the potential impact of hurricanes by using "bubbles" from deep down to bring up cooler water to the top.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/hurri ... bles-ocean
Of the many, serious, problems posed by climate change, rising sea temperatures have the potential to be the most catastrophic. Warmer oceans mean rising sea levels, melting ice caps and more extreme weather events, among them hurricanes.

But a Norwegian company claims to have a way to mitigate that last one, by blowing bubbles.

OceanTherm, founded by Olav Hollingsæter, a former naval officer, is developing a system that uses bubbles to cool the surface temperature of the sea by drawing up cold water from the oceans’ depths.

Hurricanes are created when hot and cold air meet over warm ocean waters of 26.5°C or above. The warmer the water, the more powerful a hurricane can become. But water below 26.5°C has neither the heat nor sufficient levels of evaporation to feed a hurricane, and so will either reduce its strength (and chances of making landfall) or prevent one forming in the first place.

OceanTherm’s idea is to lower perforated pipes deep into the ocean through which to blow compressed air. The air would create bubbles that would draw cooler water up to the surface and reduce its temperature to below 26.5°C. The pipes would be deployed from a fleet of ships patrolling areas of likely hurricane formation – the Gulf of Mexico, for instance – and create a ‘bubble curtain’ in a hurricane’s path to diminish it, if not snuff it out altogether.

It’s a new application for an old idea –Norway has been using bubble curtains for years to prevent fjords from freezing in the winter (except in this case the bubbles bring warmer water to a surface that’s being chilled by cold winter air).
Stay safe guys. Hope there is no major impact.
reno

Post by reno »

just waves of rain and wind in my community right now .some twig's down in the back yard . but there ton of flooding around Tampa bay. there a place we like going called pine island . thats totally underwater there a weather camera on this place. there doing some helicopter rescue's in the Clearwater area some miles away from the beach .
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Anticlimactic for me. Almost wish I hadn't put up the shutters, but you never know.

Best we got was 40MPH wind gusts, and that's a typical summer afternoon thunderstorm for us.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.