IRS Will Soon Require Selfies for Online Access

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

IRS Will Soon Require Selfies for Online Access

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you created an online account to manage your tax records with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), those login credentials will cease to work later this year. The agency says that by the summer of 2022, the only way to log in to irs.gov will be through ID.me, an online identity verification service that requires applicants to submit copies of bills and identity documents, as well as a live video feed of their faces via a mobile device.
Krebs setup an account with ID.me to document the process. Good news is it didn't require him to unfreeze his credit files.

Putting this on my list of things to do. Might finally have a good use for my Yubikey, to setup 2FA with them. I don't like using SMS for 2FA for something this important.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/irs ... ne-access/
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Re: IRS Will Soon Require Selfies for Online Access

Post by Executioner »

I just got this email yesterday:
Your credential is expiring in 14 days

According to our records, your ID.me login will expire in 14 days. You previously verified your identity with ID.me to access Social Security Administration. To avoid the hassle of reverifying your identity to access Social Security Administration benefits and services, please log in with ID.me at Social Security Administration or access your account at http://account.id.me
I haven't done anything with SS since I hit my full retirement age, 66 and 2 months (July 2021), and started taking my SS payments. Do I still need to do this?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Need? No. But it makes it easier to do some things via their website.

Sounds like all you have to do is log in at the Social Security website to to refresh it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I had to make in id.me so I could opt out of the Child Tax Credit last year. It's painless. The most difficult part was getting a good picture of my drivers license with my cell.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like the IRS is backing away from the selfie requirement: