Why I wouldn't want a AirBnB home

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Why I wouldn't want a AirBnB home

Post by reno »

also why we always told friends why I never wanted to get into rental property.
his probably happens more than we think but it doesn’t make the news. A Tampa AirBnB home was trashed after the renter threw a house party!

Think about how you would feel when a neighbor calls you to let you know that there are over 200 people at your rental house. Then, how bad is it when you see all the mayhem and destruction they caused on Instagram and TikTok. That’s what happened to Jason Lowman.

Jason owns a home in Ybor City that he rents out. Well, it seems that the person he rented it to decided to advertise that Jason’s rental would be hosting a house party. The party-goers got WAY OUT OF CONTROL and trashed the place. It got so bad, that Jason had to call Tampa PD to break up the house party. Jason’s bill to repair the damage and replace broken items: $14,000!
https://995qyk.com/2021/12/17/tampa-air ... use-party/
video here - https://www.fox13news.com/video/1013353
Pugsley

Re: Why I wouldn't want a AirBnB home

Post by Pugsley »

So wouldn't that fall back on the renter?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Why I wouldn't want a AirBnB home

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well first off, having rented houses (not AirBnB) I can tell you that in Florida, you need a Commercial Insurance policy on top of homeowners insurance. Some companies sell one policy with both coverages, but often they're separate and pricey. This is only required, though, if you intend to rent year round, and some homeowners may choose not to, which is stupid as most homeowners policies will likely not cover you, or at least not cover everything, if you were not insuring it as a rental and were renting it.

AirBnB also provides the homeowner with insurance coverage: Host Protection Insurance which is basically liability in case a renter is injured, and Host Guarantee, which covers the homeowner from damages like this party.

I'm sure there's going to be a bunch of lawyers sitting around a table figuring out who covers what portion, as well as lawsuits against the renter himself. It'll take a while, but the home owner should be covered for damages unless he skimped on insurance.

But yeah, that's always been my worst nightmare renting a house. Well second worst nightmare. Worst would be someone turning your house into a pot farm, ever since I saw this episode of Holmes on Homes. In the end the pot mold was embedded in the bottom surface of the roof sheeting. The only way code enforcement would certify occupancy was to remove it. Instead of replacing the roof, they used a special dry-ice sandblasting system to remove it, but when it was all done the house was basically a gutted shell down to the studs inside.

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.