PSA: Standalone Freezer vents

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
psypher
Golden Member

PSA: Standalone Freezer vents

Post by psypher »

For those with standalone freezers, make sure your significant other knows not to block the vents! We just got back from a weekend trip to find our freezer warm and everything thawed. Lost about $1K in food which included about $500 worth of meat from Wild Forks and our entire Thanksgiving dinner (turkey and sides). She moved a bunch of stuff to the top, blocking the vents to make room for the turkey and sides. There was plenty of room elsewhere. Now we have to run around tomorrow to see what we can find. At least we have all the wine we bought during our trip to look forward to next week when it arrives. Hopefully it didn't fry the compressor, seems to have cool air coming out, but we'll see tomorrow.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: PSA: Standalone Freezer vents

Post by reno »

that a major suck !
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

We had one where "someone" left the door open and it fried the compressor. Everything inside was thawed. We probably threw out at least 90%. So the next freezer we got had a door that "wants to remain closed".
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

So yea, compressor is dead. Ours beeps if you leave the door open. I have a temp probe in it linked to my SmartThings hub, but the dam app needed an update so it stopped alerting me. I could see when the temp started rising on Friday in the logs. I started looking for a new one. Ours was almost 7 years old and paid about $400 for it. Current ones are double :( On the new one I'm putting labels around the vents saying DO NOT BLOCK!