Hobby Talk - plastic models !

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Hobby Talk - plastic models !

Post by reno »

getting kind of board so decided to go back to my childhood .just picked up a plastic model car . I pick up a 1/25 scale 1967 Pontiac GTO kit model made by AMT. price was a shock kind of as they were like $1.44 plus .06 tax for a total of $1.50. out the door fir a kit from S. S. Kresge as a kid. today that same kit cost me $29.00 on amazon .
also went looking into Testers model spray paint and found. there is really a limit as to choice of colors avail today. back in the day there was a rainbow of colors avail. they still make brush on jars of modeling paint but there not .19 or .29 cents each anymore. today they will set you back about $2.00 each for the .25 oz bottles each .they are still avail in like 40 assorted colors .
did a little internet search and found out most the manufacture of plastic models car's ,boats and planes have gone under and what avail is left over stock that are being offer for sale today . this being said price can range from what I just payed. to a hundred dollars for a Johann ambulance ready to build off ebay. to hundreds for a semi rare hard to fine model. also went and did a google for hobby shops they are some still around but far and in between. mostly only open very limited hours and run by retired folk as there hobby . it like 45 min drive to the one closest to me. the others near me are selling only radio controlled kits and supply's.
I know as a kid we enjoyed doing them after school and rainy days.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Hobby Talk - plastic models !

Post by Losbot »

Yeah, things have changed and most kids are no longer interested in hobbies like that. It's a shame.
------------------------------------------

Err
Life Member

Re: Hobby Talk - plastic models !

Post by Err »

I used to put together models as a kid and teen. You can used car paint on them as long as you apply a primer to the plastic. I put together a 1995 viper and used a can of Viper Red from Chrysler to paint it. It looked great. I'd also buy the OEM engine colors to paint the engines.