What have I been up to, you ask?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

What have I been up to, you ask?

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

So, where to begin.. It's been a hot second since I posted here.. Quick summary of happenings since my last remembered activity about 5 years ago..

Got tired of the weather in Maryland, sold everything and moved the family to Florida. Moved in to the in-laws retirement home for a few years, had a few different office jobs, ended up landing a pretty sweet 100% telework job and have been enjoying that for the last 2 years. It has afforded me the ability to do something that my wife and I have wanted to do for a long time.. Escape.. a little over a year and a half ago we bought a little over 5 acres in the middle of nowhere. Literally.. We are surrounded by about 1000 acres of forest/farm land. There are approximately 8 houses within that area. After we bought the property we toyed with the idea of building a house from scratch and quickly realized we needed a little more money than we had on hand at the time. So we bought a bus.. lol an old school bus.. We started the process of converting the bus to an RV (Skoolie) and then work got busy and we had to put some things on the back burner. Then when we started working on the bus again, Rona hit. That brought things to a halt. But, just before Rona hit we had bought a 12x24 lofted shed/cabin. So, post Rona we wanted to escape the crazy and converted our shed in to a cabin. We have been living on our property the tiny way.. After a couple of months we added a second cabin, a 12x32.. So, that is where we are now. Living in two cabins (Adult wing and Kid's Wing) and loving it. I managed to find a good unlimited 4G Service that allows me to work from our property. So it's been good. We are now working on saving money up to start building the real house as the current setup is only a temporary means to an end.

Hope all of the rest of you are doing well!

eGo
Executioner
Life Member

Re: What have I been up to, you ask?

Post by Executioner »

Glad it's working out for you. For some reason, I always thought you lived in Florida.

I retired in May 2020 at the ripe age of 65. Feels great not working and putting up with corporate BS and other issues.
smb
Almighty Member

Post by smb »

there should be a sign in thread with your title so we can all catch up.

just noticed my join date. 20 years ago this month.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

What part of FL is your 5 acres in?
We're in South FL and plan to move up to get away. Ideally with a few acres of room around us.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, what parts of Florida, Ego? I'm in central FL. Lady Lake near The Villages (20 miles south of Ocala).
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

Ego im also here in florida to .just north of Tampa now in New Port Richey area .semi Retired these days kind of .moved to a 55 and over community. still doing a handyman service but only in my community (there only 2400 homes ) :)
(think im working more now then when I was in partnership with Fast Eddie. )
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Exec, gratz on retirement! That's awesome! Still at least 25 years out for me.. haha You might have thought I lived in Florida because from the time I joined in 2002 until 2010 I lived in Louisiana. ;)

Los, FP & Reno : We are in Holmes County. Little town called Westville. Land in this area is cheap. We managed to get our land for $10k.. But so far we've put another $15k just in electricity and the well. Still working on septic. But, it's ours and it's paid for. I'll try and take some "not so redneck" pictures tomorrow and post them up. lol Fortunately even though we're in the middle of nowhere the AT&T Hotspot we picked up works better than the fiber connection at my in-laws house in town.

As far as work, I'm currently doing Cybersecurity for the DHA. It's a 100% remote job and I couldn't be happier. Wife is driving a school bus for the next county over where we started out. Which is why we got the Skoolie. Maybe one of these days I'll get down towards central FL and buy y'all a beverage. ;)
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

And, on a side note.. Reno, I think that is the FIRST time you have ever called me eGo and NOT eCo lol ;)
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

this is so True :) think i even did way back to the time before time .when we were all at the pca land party at greg's dad place :) I don't even remember when I first became a member of PCA I do know that Nitro ( Phil) invited me .
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I guess Florida is the place to be.
darcy

Post by darcy »

Welcome back :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote:I guess Florida is the place to be.
Yep. People moving to the lower tax states and no state income tax.
------------------------------------------