condo project for 2020

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

condo project for 2020

Post by reno »

this year major project is going to be a biggie. last year we did replacement windows (Hurricane rated ) 5 window and 2 doors . ($7500.00)
This year were going to do a kitchen replacement . monday we have a appointment with my cabinet supplier. already have the basic plan $5,000 .wife wants to make some changes to them (ka-ching ) its only a 9 x 12 galley and were keeping the appliances we have but need to buy a microwave $400.00. I expect the cost for cabinets alone to be about 6 grand maybe a bit more (im doing the demo and install on the cabinets) . she want quartz counter tops that might run as much as the cabinets to have installed. then she order one box of back splash tile its $12.00 per foot at $72 per case we need about 30 case of tile. glad wont need a new sink as I have one . figure we may spend 20 grand for her new kitchen . that's me and a friend do the work except the countertop . will be taking out a section of wall and then repairing the floor and ceiling,moving one electrical outlet all demo and insulation of new cabinets . we keep you all informed and post photos of progress .sure glad im getting all at my costs and not having to pay a contactor to do this job .my guess parts and labor be about $25,000 to $35,000 for this small kitchen upgrade . to get a clue how much stuff cost will need 28 cabinet handles there $10 each min. and then I charge my clients $4 to $12 each to install depending if i have to just swap out or drill and set.
this last week i had a client spend $15,000.00 just on cabinets and it not many more then im ordering so there a wide spread on what you can spend.
Last edited by reno on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
darcy

Re: condo project for 2020

Post by darcy »

Whoa,,,!!
Looking forward to the pics :)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

reno wrote:she want quartz counter tops that might run as much as the cabinets to have installed.
Hmm, quartz shouldn't cost 5K for a 9x12 unless you get a high end name brand like Cambria which runs about 120/sq ft. 9x12 is probably like 36 sq ft? We had close to 70 sq ft of MSI quartz installed for $5500.
reno wrote:then she order one box of back splash tile its $12.00 per foot at $72 per case we need about 30 case of tile.
Dam, that sounds like lot of tiles. How many are in each case, 1 sq ft? :)
reno wrote:sure glad im getting all at my costs and not having to pay a contactor to do this job
I paid a GC to do most of the work except for the cabinets. Cabinet maker had his own installer. Only thing I did was the design, under cabinet lighting , kitchen hood and the fireplace. All together it was about a 9 month renovation. I can possibly try to post a link to the album if anyone cares to see a house go from home to war zone and back to home lol
reno

Post by reno »

did a refigure on tile -was late when i did my sleepy math :) be about 8-9 cases there 5 square ft to a carton . Still not got a figure on the countertop and not sure if we do a 4 inch backsplash or just a tile from top of counter to bottom of cabinets . i do know wife wants some glass door fronts on the upper cabinets . i will be reaching out to some friends at a handle manufacture to see if they sell me what we need .they have sent me some before to review for them . :)
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

reno wrote:did a refigure on tile -was late when i did my sleepy math :) be about 8-9 cases there 5 square ft to a carton . Still not got a figure on the countertop and not sure if we do a 4 inch backsplash or just a tile from top of counter to bottom of cabinets . i do know wife wants some glass door fronts on the upper cabinets . i will be reaching out to some friends at a handle manufacture to see if they sell me what we need .they have sent me some before to review for them . :)
lol, yea 8-9 cases sounds more like it. We tiled it from top of counter. I think it's a cleaner/modern look. I think a 4" backslash using the same counter material is better suited for a bathroom. We did 2 doors with glass in the kitchen and really like it. We only keep glasses and the nice coffee mugs in it with some decorations in the top shelf.
reno

Post by reno »

well the new kitchen ordered - be 2 to 4 weeks for cabinets to arrive . just under $10 grand for cabinets and silestone QuartZ counter top. now to start thinking knobs , backsplash , microwave , flooring in old kitchen area only needed.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Nice, just remember, nothing really hot on quartz :) Personally it was a non-issue for me since even with I had granite before I still always put something in between the counters and hot pans/pots. It was more of a transition for the wife.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote: Hmm, quartz shouldn't cost 5K for a 9x12 unless you get a high end name brand like Cambria which runs about 120/sq ft. 9x12 is probably like 36 sq ft? We had close to 70 sq ft of MSI quartz installed for $5500.
Yeah, that seems high. We bought "high end" quartz and it was $3k a sheet. We spent about $10k in quartz for our kitchen and had a small piece left over which our stone guy is holding for us, as we're going to use it to top a vanity in the guest bathroom. Hate to waste good stone.
------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

we order the backsplash -i called to the main importer directly .was asking if it came in a 3x12 size subway and informed not at this time .so went back to home depot and order the 3x6 we need another 6 case's of https://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile ... 91%7D%3Aqu
having shipped to the store .there was a $55.00 upcharge to have it home deliver. im at this location all the time so biggie .
started having the wife looking online at knobs ,pulls and handles online .
also been looking at cabinet accessories here is were it really gets costly . did just order a https://www.build.com/rev-a-shelf-448-w ... nsactional for wife spices . a 9 inch upper cabinet not much use being 12 deep only not a lot of help .cant really even store a cookie sheet in a cabinet this size.

most my old cabinet door's have been called for by a neighbor as there are in bad shape .they like to redo there kitchen but can only afford a new countertop now.
reno

Post by reno »

first glitch arrived yesterday . called to see if vinyl flooring was still avail. nope it was discontinued last year in 2019 by mohawk flooring. so now its going store shopping to find a floor that is close to what we have . only will need 3-4 case but my wife dreading this .also will wait till we do the demo of the kitchen because. I toss out my leftovers when we did the floor 3-4 years ago .
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm right there with you. Pulled out all of the cabinets and flooring out of my old house for re-model. But not going as expensive (painting cabinets). Still, it's costing a pretty penny. If we don't fail on the old house, I'm going to start in on the new house.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Thought I'd share what the wife did with the quartz:
Wife took that "waterfall" idea, where you have stone coming down the end of the counter & she went the other way to use it to cover a wall that previously had a perpendicular wall on it with a cabinet mounted. It made the space feel closed in so we removed it. I just wanted to get rid of that '90s era crap of having tile as a counter top and the 2-tiers. Hate that crap. We both hated that the pantry was really just a closet. WTF? Also wanted more cabinet space, so that pantry is larger and deeper, bringing it out to wrap the fridge. Also added cabinet space to the front of the "island" or peninsula actually, to store certain glassware.

(The after picture is missing the back-splash, as it was special ordered and took 3 months)

------------------------------------------

reno

Post by reno »

love the update Losbot :)
reno

Post by reno »

we are going to remove all are old vinyl floor from the 5 to 6 years ago we installed. do to mohawk discontinued it last year and none being available. so patching the area is not a option . were i'd need to install a transition to the new kitchen floor. would have to be at a weird angle and just not look correct. so tomorrow im picking up are new flooring. all are old floor will be removed . some we saved and reused in are launi (sunroom ). so not a total waste.
here a link to new flooring. https://www.parkayfloors.com/product/egyptian-gold/
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Looks nice Los!

I feel your pain reno. Part of what I'm doing is tearing up vinyl. I think I hate that more than wallpaper.