Hundreds dead in Iran after consuming methanol thinking it was coronavirus protection

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Hundreds dead in Iran after consuming methanol thinking it was coronavirus protection

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The Corona Virus Darwin challenge continues...
More than 300 people have died and a further 1,000 have fallen ill in Iran after consuming methanol in the belief that it will protect them against the coronavirus, according to local media.

Fake remedies have spread across Iranian social media, with methanol simply the latest supposed cure. As an Islamic nation, the consumption of alcohol is banned, but bootleggers have distributed industrial alcohol.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hu ... r-BB11NijN
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Hundreds dead in Iran after consuming methanol thinking it was coronavirus protection

Post by Err »

As part of my Microbiology degree, I took Epidemiology as one of my courses. It's extremely interesting to read how diseases spread and how socioeconomics and politics contribute. When you read about something like The Plagues of Europe, you can't help but think, "how could people be so dumb?" You read about Giardia, Typhoid, Tuberculosis, Small Pox, etc. and you hope that humanity learned something about containment and being sanitary. Then the next pandemic comes along and you wonder how humans survived long enough to invent the wheel.

As a whole, we are stupid creatures.