Corona Virus

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

Corona Virus

Post by Executioner »

Just curious as to how every is dealing with the corona virus.

Me, I'm actually working from home on documents. I'm still planning on retiring at the end of May, but my 401k has taken a small hit. I've lost about $12k so far, but it's better than some others from work who were very aggressive in selecting stocks. The one guy in the calibration lab told me he lost over $100k so far. My decision to retire is 2 fold: I'm getting tired of working for this company (won't mention a name), and putting up with do more with less from management.

I was taking the Amtrak train on Monday, commuting all the way to Santa Clara CA (silicone valley). I heard today that the train was very empty, and it's probably the same in other parts of the country. I'm sure that subways are down, plane travel is down, sport attendance is down, etc. How much worse can this get? I've never see anything like this. Hell, even Costco had a limit on toilet paper! Idiots out there are in panic mode.
Pugsley

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Pugsley »

Just bought another 1000 rounds of ammo but that's about it. I was low any way and with the weather getting better going to be going to the range.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Nothing yet, but we as a business have been discussing what will happen. It's likely I'll be getting a lot done on our website.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

Dear Valued Guest,

To help ensure the safety and well-being of all guests and crew worldwide, effective immediately, all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest's travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage.

If you are 70 years of age and older, please bring the completed form with you as you will be required to present the form prior to embarkation. Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter.

Thank you, as always, for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

The problem with this strain of coronavirus is that we don't have enough tests. I think specimens are being sent to reference labs for confirmation. That's why it takes several days to get a result. The symptoms also mimic those of several seasonal respiratory illnesses so many won't get tested. The only think you can do is avoid crowds and wash your hands with soap.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Important to remember primary symptoms are DRY cough, fever, weakness.

Runny nose, sniffles and sneezing are not.

Not too much change. A lot more sanitizer at businesses. I notice some restaurants have servers wear gloves. People are making a bit of a run on the Sam's Club.

Just trying to keep some distance between me and others, washing hands religiously & trying not to touch my face. When I his the market, I generally go during dinner time when it's not crowded, which I've always preferred.

No reports of any cases here despite a big retiree population that likes to travel.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno

Post by reno »

No reports of any cases here despite a big retiree population that likes to travel.
same here in my part of florida /community.
just heard MLB spring training stop .
also a concert wife has tickets for are on hold for now . ( kenny Chesney )
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: Some straight talk from someone who knows what he's talking about.
Michael T. Osterholm is an American public health scientist and a biosecurity and infectious disease expert.[1] Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota and a Regents Professor, the McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, a Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School,[2] all at the University of Minnesota.[3] He is also on the Board of Regents at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa.[4]
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

What about the media? Every news station is discussing this issue 50% or more than any other story. I can see why the public has panicked and made runs to Costco and the like. These are really strange times. After the dust settles, I hope that China will crack down on these markets where this originated. I'm sure their economy has taken a big hit from all this. Maybe this is another good reason to bring back some of the American jobs here.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There is no doubt that some media outlets have been exaggerating this while some other were were poo pooing it.

I think we need to be in the middle somewhere. Watch that video I just posted. It's serious, but no need to overreact. Just avoid crowds and wash your hand, don't touch your face (yeah I know it's hard to do, I rub my eyes all the time).

Trump didn't help with that bizarre speech last night full of misinformation that he had to corrected later like the bizarre statement about banning cargo from Europe which was wrong. That was probably what spooked the markets more than anything else. I swear he's his own worst enemy. Did he even rehearse that speech or read it cold?

I don't understand what a blocking of european travellers does for us when the virus is already here. I'd like to hear an explanation from someone at the CDC about that. Is there something we don't know?

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Our idiot Governor in Ohio just closed schools for 3 weeks: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2 ... 031954002/

Of course he didn't address what working parents are supposed to do with their kids. I guess put them in daycare with a bunch of other kids.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Since you mentioned Trump, in his speech last night, he did not look that good. Either is exhausted and tired, or maybe he's coming down with something or really stressed out.
I think the travel blocks are to prevent additional viruses from coming here. It will allow the virus to plateau then slowly drop in numbers.
reno

Post by reno »

I'd like to know what people are going to do after this passes . the way people are buying toilet paper and cleaning supply's it reminds me of the y2k scare . when this is over they try to return the goods and find its non-returnable. just like when they go to the stores when they hear a storms predicted . they have to buy generators only it can't be return . after the storm that never was .
being in florida we see it alot at Hurricane season.
reno

Post by reno »

As of Monday all public schools in Michigan will be closed for the next 3 weeks
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

This is probably why we are told UFO's and aliens don't exist - due to the public going nuts. ;)