Corona Virus

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Err
Life Member

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Err »

I'm amazed Russia is reporting at all. If it was still pre-internet era, we probably wouldn't know the infection rate until the pandemic subsided.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Putin was claiming, until it became obvious to everyone he was lying, that everything was fine and under control.

Sound familiar?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

After the media reported us as having the highest cases, I immediately thought well what is that in relation to the population? Now look at per capita:

https://www.statista.com/chart/21176/co ... tal-cases/
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:After the media reported us as having the highest cases, I immediately thought well what is that in relation to the population? Now look at per capita:
You started on the right track, but then stopped short at whatever presentation of data would make things look better.

Switzerland has a population of 8.5 million. The state of New York has 29.5 million. The state of New York is at 2363 per one million. Just ONE of our states is way ahead of every other country.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I know NY is bad, but that is how the data was presented by country only. I would be interested to see the same graph based on each state of the union.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:Yeah I know NY is bad, but that is how the data was presented by country only. I would be interested to see the same graph based on each state of the union.
That fact that Switzerland (a country that hasn't really been talked about) showed up at the top of the list should be a red flag.
Shadow250
Golden Member

Post by Shadow250 »

Executioner wrote:Yeah I know NY is bad, but that is how the data was presented by country only. I would be interested to see the same graph based on each state of the union.

Hi im from ny and would like to clarify that new york CITY is the hotzone. Most of the outlying counties have very low numbers of cases. My county only has 6 cases reported. I saw what RI is doing with the military going door to door. I dont think thats even legal.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well first person I know has the virus. A cousin in South Florida has it. She called it in to her doctor and they didn't waste a test on her because all her symptoms are classic. Because she's mid 50s and in excellent health (she's a fitness fanatic) and not in distress, they had her self quarantine at home, and prescribed an Abuterol asthma inhaler to help keep her bronchial passages open.

She says it's definitely kicked her in the ass. Difficulty breathing is the worst. She says it feels like pneumonia, but without the fluid.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

darcy

Post by darcy »

Shadow250 wrote:

Hi im from ny and would like to clarify that new york CITY is the hotzone. Most of the outlying counties have very low numbers of cases. My county only has 6 cases reported. I saw what RI is doing with the military going door to door. I dont think thats even legal.
What part of NY, Shadow?
I'm in one of the 5 boroughs comprising NYCity.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
darcy

Post by darcy »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well first person I know has the virus. A cousin in South Florida has it. She called it in to her doctor and they didn't waste a test on her because all her symptoms are classic. Because she's mid 50s and in excellent health (she's a fitness fanatic) and not in distress, they had her self quarantine at home, and prescribed an Abuterol asthma inhaler to help keep her bronchial passages open.

She says it's definitely kicked her in the ass. Difficulty breathing is the worst. She says it feels like pneumonia, but without the fluid.
Thank God she's in excellent health, FP; wishing the best for her.
( I've been on asthma medication for about 15 yrs,,).

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Wife and I have Abuterol "rescue" inhalers prescribed by our allergist, for allergies even though we both are diagnosed with mild asthma. We hardly ever use them except during our allergy seasons, but good to know we have ours if we should come down with this.

darcy

Post by darcy »

That's good :)

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

We've got several inhalers because our 7yo who has asthma. She does a daily inhaler and then we've got the "rescue" ones for the quick relief.
We're hoping she grows out of it eventually.
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well first person I know has the virus. A cousin in South Florida has it. She called it in to her doctor and they didn't waste a test on her because all her symptoms are classic. Because she's mid 50s and in excellent health (she's a fitness fanatic) and not in distress, they had her self quarantine at home, and prescribed an Abuterol asthma inhaler to help keep her bronchial passages open.

I don't want to scare her, but make sure she understands not to ignore symptoms just because she's in her mid 50s and in excellent health. All that means is that yes, you can try to self quarantine at home and see how it goes, but if it starts getting bad she needs to go back. Several people have been sent home to self quarantine and not get tested because they fell in this false hope part of the population that are currently not considered high risk.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

darcy wrote:
Shadow250 wrote:

What part of NY, Shadow?
I'm in one of the 5 boroughs comprising NYCity.
Yikes. My cousin and his wife and daughter live in Brooklyn, I think Brooklyn Heights. I just read that NY City hit a corona virus death every 9.5 minutes (67 in the past 24 hours).