Corona Virus

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
normalicy

Re: Corona Virus

Post by normalicy »

Well, we're pretty much sealed shut at this point. Schools all closed. Restaurants aren't allowed dine-in. No gatherings over 10 people.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote: When the shit hits the fan, people suddenly see the truth and that's absolutely zero confidence in this administration keeping us safe and alive.
Be fair. It's not that. It's that people are ridiculous and the media has really hyped the hell out of this thing. All my personal friends that are in the medical field are annoyed right now because people are losing their collective minds over a flu. We go through this every so often but this time it's like they're trying to scare the shit out of everyone. Add to that, all the media morons who have their own shows, spouting their opinions and conspiracy theories. It's no wonder people are hoarding everything in sight. We didn't see that back with H1N1/SARS.

Nothing to do with the administration. Every natural disaster has people complaining that the "gumbit" isn't doing enough for the people in need.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I agree with Losbot. I blame a lot of this not only on the media but also social networks, where people go to get the "truth".
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote: We didn't see that back with H1N1/SARS.
Yea, maybe if we had we wouldn't have had over a billion people infected or several hundred thousands die from H1N1. You know it's quite possible the world is trying not to repeat past experiences.
My mom survived through H1N1, over a decade ago. Today, she wouldn't. Or fuck it, who cares, the world has too many people in it anyways.

“What are they trying to do, scare everybody to death?” the newspaper wrote in an editorial. “The fear of influenza is creating a panic, an unreasonable panic that will be promoted, we suspect, by the drastic commands of the authorities. … Steer clear of it, therefore and talk of cheerful things – of health, for instance, instead of disease.”

Lets just throw a parade...
https://www.phillyvoice.com/100-years-a ... an-parade/
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Los, The current administration has bungled it's entire response, and it WILL cost lives. This is not "a flu", it has a higher mortality rate already, and when the medical facilities are overrun (because 1.5% of 300 million is still more than they can handle), it will cascade even further. While you and I are relatively safe, our parents are not. Remember that.

The correct info is out there, but people are choosing to ignore it, or go batshit overboard, and thats an issue, but you guys minimizing it is just as serious as people overblowing it.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

"This is not "a flu", it has a higher mortality rate already, and when the medical facilities are overrun (because 1.5% of 300 million is still more than they can handle), it will cascade even further."
We're not minimizing anything. We're being realistic. The medical people we've spoken to tell us the same thing and sorry to tell you but it's a damn flu. We get variations of the flu every year. Nothing new. We lose up to 60,000+ people every year to the flu. So that's 5000/mo if you want to average it out. Well, shit. It looks like it's not that bad. Most of us get the damn thing and we shake it off because we think we got a simple cold or maybe even the flu so we take meds, feel better and then go back to work, possibly passing it on. Same shit as now only the media has taken this to a new level of hysteria. Hell, we even have stupid political correctness with "social distancing". We used to just tell people to stay away from others so you don't get them sick. It's ridiculous.

Every year it's the same thing. The elderly and those who have compromised systems need to play it safe. We should always wash our hands and not touch our faces. Nothing has changed except for the fact that the media has everyone freaking the hell out.

Also during H1N1, we didn't shut down schools and create this much hysteria, so now we're taking all these precautions but yet critics want to claim that the Administration has botched this flu pandemic. Give me a break. Put the political bias aside. It's a damn flu like we've dealt with before and don't believe all the hype about it being more deadly this time until we have real numbers. We lost some 12k-13k to H1N1 and we will hopefully lose less lives but people need to stop overreacting.

It still boils down to common sense shit.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Yea, maybe if we had we wouldn't have had over a billion people infected or several hundred thousands die from H1N1.
Also, there's about 1 Billion infections of the seasonal flu every year. I guess that's Trump's fault too? SMH
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:We're not minimizing anything. We're being realistic. The medical people we've spoken to tell us the same thing and sorry to tell you but it's a damn flu.
Who are these medical people? Some nurse at Leon Medical Center? I live in Atlanta and one of my neighbors is a doctor at the CDC. No, this is NOT just a regular flu. And yes you ARE MINIMIZING it by saying it's just the flu. There's a huge difference. We have vaccines for the flu which many people take. The flu has different strains, that's why every year the vaccine is different. COVID-19 is completely different. The flu has various antiviral medications that are used and proven. Even with that, people still die. COVID-19, does not have a vaccine nor previously tested/used treatments. It's named COVID-19, because it's COrona VIrus Disease from 2019, which causes severe acute respiratory syndrome SAR, ie SARS-CoV-2. Oh and if that's not enough, mortality rates are almost 30 times that of the flu.

Look, I'm not saying hey you should go nuts and stock pile for 6 months, but come on, don't disregard it or down play the seriousness of it. Is it the zombie Apocalypse? No of course not, but it's not just a cold or familiar flu. If you can at least see that it's worse than the flu, then lets say it's somewhere between worse than the flu and the media "hysteria" if you want to call it that.
Last edited by psypher on Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Obviously even the White House is concerned or they wouldn't be making preparations to deploying military MASH units to hospital parking lots,if needed, so the MASH units can take up the normal everyday broken-bone type emergencies to keep hospitals free to deal with Convid-19 cases.

Most medical people around here that I know (clients, friends, my Dad's doctors) are extremely concerned.

Oh, there is one client of mine who's a pediatrician who'll agree with you. Maybe she's jaded because she deals with kids and kids aren't affected much.

The irony is her husband is a pulmonologist, and he's extremely concerned. His patients are all prime risk.

Yes, people are being stupid. They shouldn't be partying in large groups, or licking toilet seats, nor should they be hoarding supplies. Buy what you normally would buy every 2 weeks, and stay as home as much as you can.

Wife and I are going out to dinner for a last goodbye possibly for a while. Nice gourmet restaurant. They've reduced seating and spaced out tables, and we have a reservation.

Still only 2 cases of Convid-19 here, but everyone is sort of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

On another note, this seems to be a Prepper's wet dream. I've got prepper friends asking me if I have enough ammo, and do I need solar panels. Sigh.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW. Here's what's going on with medical people here. Since I have a 97 year old at home with some health issues, and home nursing, I can tell you this is not being treated as "just the flu". We've never had at-home nursing do these things before:

As of this week the nurse coming to the house is doing these new procedures:

- The nurse is wearing a mask

- Her tablet is now in a ziplock bag when she arrives and she uses it through the bag. She says when she goes back out the car, the bag goes into a contaminated waste bag. Tablet gets wiped down with sanitizer, and a new bag gets put on before her next appointment.

- She put a large paper towel on the floor. Her medical bag was placed on the towel so the bag doesn't touch the floor. The towel gets crumpled up and gets taken back to the car and put in the contaminated waste bag. Her medical bag gets wiped down with sanitizer.

Remember, this is a county that only has 2 reported cases, both known to be travel related.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

It's almost like if you take it seriously and take some small steps to help prevent contagion, it might help or something.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

Executioner wrote:I agree with Losbot. I blame a lot of this not only on the media but also social networks, where people go to get the "truth".
so true .
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

reno wrote:
Executioner wrote:I agree with Losbot. I blame a lot of this not only on the media but also social networks, where people go to get the "truth".
so true .
That's a sad reality. Some believe easily believe everything their friends post on social media. SMH
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:
Yea, maybe if we had we wouldn't have had over a billion people infected or several hundred thousands die from H1N1.
Also, there's about 1 Billion infections of the seasonal flu every year. I guess that's Trump's fault too? SMH
If only we had a Pandemic Response Team...
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote:If only we had a Pandemic Response Team...
That can't cure people's stupidity. Viruses will always spread.