Corona Virus

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Err
Life Member

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Err »

Ohio Governor closed all restaurants except for carry out and delivery:

I honestly don't know if this will have any impact at this point. This nation has bungled the handling of Coronavirus so badly that we'll just have to ride out the storm at this point.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The reason I said media hype because 50% or more of the news is devoted to this topic. No wonder the "sheep" are buying all the TP.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well it's the single greatest disruption to American life since 9/11 why wouldn't it be dominating the majority of the news? There's a lot of scared people out there and a lot of bad information.

And not just health-wise but this could potentially bankrupt businesses large & small, and upset the economy.

I just heard a news report that said Italy had 324 deaths just in the last 24 hours. Think about that happening in every state of this country.

I just checked FoxNews and their entire main page is devoted to Corona virus, except for a plug for Nancy Grace. Kudos to Fox since their main page most of the time looks like a supermarket rag with stupid "fluff" stories unless you drill down into the sub sections.

The Daily Caller, the same. It IS the only really important news right now.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Good points. Our governor wants everyone 65 and over to self isolate at home. I'll be 65 in May of this year, BUT I had my spleen removed back in 1986, so I haven't physically gone to work since February 17th due to that concern. Yeah I feel for those that work at bars, restaurants, and other areas of the economy that are similar. So welcome to the upcoming recession. It will be interesting to see how it will recover.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Ohio Primary is off, maybe, I think:

https://www.10tv.com/article/dewine-ohi ... y-2020-mar

Dewine filed a request to postpone the Primaries at the 11th hour, literally, and got rejected. He is now having his health advisor close the polls.

I think the primary should be delayed but I don't know why he waited until hours before to take action. He announced schools closed last Thursday. He should've taken action then so there would be time to get the word out. Even if he has the best intentions, the looks like voter suppression.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:As a bonus, this gives me more time to catch up on Steam Games I haven't played yet :P
LMAO
darcy

Post by darcy »

Err wrote:Ohio Governor closed all restaurants except for carry out and delivery:
Same in NYC.

Hubby drove me up to my Mom's (89-yr old), on 3/13.
I'm very worried about her.

Trying to instill in her that she can Not go into town 3-4 times a week like she is prone to do.

I have notepads out for her: - shopping list/s; make One trip a week, only.

We went into Town today w/ a list that should've held her for a while, but the one supermarket in the closest town, well,,, it's shelves were bare, and I mean bare. Nowhere else for her to go.

I've put up notes all over the house/doors to WASH, WASH, Wash your hands whenever coming in from outdoors.

Lord only knows if she'll follow these instructions.

She's alone,- and Very Lonely; - churches w/activities for seniors are closed, and she partly makes those trips into town to chat w/other people. That's her "social life".

On the news yesterday, was talk of shutting down grocery stores in neighboring county (Westchester).

Bank lobbies are closed, except for those offering drive-thru; she has no concept of drive-thru, - why should she at her age,,,

Luckily, we went to the bank the day before they even sent out email notices about the closure/s.

We went, because I have to think ahead and make sure enough $$ is in her a/c for IRS direct withdrawal, and deposited a Trust check ( took a guess at what her tax & first estimated payment would be ). - I have no idea when I'll next be up her w/her.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

People are still panic buying. Around here they all go to Sam's Club. So at 9am I drive past Sam's and people are lined up AROUND THE BUILDING waiting to get in.

I go to Target across the street for a few odds and ends, and there was no crowd and they had ample supplies, and a security gal to make sure people only took one of each paper product.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Aaaaaand the latest Corona Virus Darwin nominee.... Idiot.

TikTok influencer LICKS plane toilet seat in 'coronavirus challenge'

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71297/ti ... index.html

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Same at our local Costco stores. What they should do is at the checkout for paying, if the checker notices you were here earlier or yesterday, sorry you can't buy your stuff and kick them out.
The wife and I go to Costco about once a month. No need to go to these stores every day or every other day.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

BTW, since I know some here run unraid or other NAS boxes that support docker, there are BOINC and other distributed client dockers out there to help process data.

https://unraid.net/blog/help-take-the-f ... lding-home as a example. I know my NAS is mostly idle since I dont do any conversions and the VM's are low CPU stuff like email, etc. So I put the BOINC client to run. Tested queuing some Plex stuff and it adjusted perfectly to the CPU load, although some users in the forum have reported issues, but I suspect its mostly cause few folk run their NAS CPU 100% and they dont have adequate cooling, but thats just me.
darcy

Post by darcy »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Aaaaaand the latest Corona Virus Darwin nominee.... Idiot.

A$$hole.
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Restaurants still open here, but the Governor is requiring them to use staggered seating and limit the number of customers to 50% of capacity.

Had to take a cat to the Vet today for a surgery post op, and they're not letting you into the office unless you need to sign electronic documents. You can sit outside or in the car, they take the animal and return it. They ask for payment and if it's a credit card they run it and bring it back to you to sign. Very well organized.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Aaaaaand the latest Corona Virus Darwin nominee.... Idiot.

This isn't how you get Coronavirus. This is how you acquire an enteric infection.

A real Coronavirus challenge would be licking a person with Coronavirus.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:People are still panic buying. Around here they all go to Sam's Club. So at 9am I drive past Sam's and people are lined up AROUND THE BUILDING waiting to get in.

I go to Target across the street for a few odds and ends, and there was no crowd and they had ample supplies, and a security gal to make sure people only took one of each paper product.
When the shit hits the fan, people suddenly see the truth and that's absolutely zero confidence in this administration keeping us safe and alive.