Corona Virus

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Corona Virus

Post by psypher »

reno wrote:I'd like to know what people are going to do after this passes . the way people are buying toilet paper and cleaning supply's it reminds me of the y2k scare . when this is over they try to return the goods and find its non-returnable. just like when they go to the stores when they hear a storms predicted . they have to buy generators only it can't be return . after the storm that never was .
being in florida we see it alot at Hurricane season.
Why would they need to return toilet paper, cleaning supplies and food? Will it become useless in a few weeks?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

This site has some good info I was just reading and watching the video: https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fully ... 17303.html

Fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath are the main conditions.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Let em all buy stuff like crazy. That will help the retailers and stimulate the economy.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Let em all buy stuff like crazy. That will help the retailers and stimulate the economy.
Not really, just means they won't be buying as much in the future. People don't suddenly shit more at home :) And they'll probably be rationing their food to make it last!
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

And in the end they will hopefully find a cheaper way to live... who are we kidding no they wont. If they waited this long to "panic" its too late!
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm fine with blocking travel from countries that have many infected people. It's easier to get a handle on this instead of having more infected people come over, infect others and it just spreads faster.
That's my opinion.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

:rolleyes: some of my snowbird neighbor that are from canada .there packing up and leaving this weekend . its like there thinking the boarder going to be shut down and they wont be allow back . my advice stay off any freeway heading north from florida from tomorrow till ? the roads will be packed with canadians . sunday the people in the 2nd half of my condo (duplex ) are driving back to Berrie ,ontario .the wife thinks its crazy but the hubby wants to leave . there been a bit of a tiff over it between them but he winning this one. :rolleyes:
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You know, this whole thing shows that we are woefully ill prepared for a biological attack. I hope this gets evaluated when it's over and they stockpile more masks, gowns, etc for hospitals.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Very true. But individuals also need to be prepared and they don't bother.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some good info comparing symptoms with common cold, flu & allergies, since we're all going to by hypochondriacs for a while:

Also, from my father's at-home nurse, because Dad has a rash and has been insisting on going to the ER which to me sounds crazy right now for a 97 year old with a non-emergency:

"People should not be going to the ER right now unless they're having trouble breathing or they're bleeding to death".

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

So have we all contemplated just how stupid it is to crawl in the hole in hopes of not being affected by COVID-19? Cancelling all sports, schools, stocks, community programs, and so many other things completely fails for any form of society. Hell! Starbucks is closing its doors to become drive through only!That's why China is back to work. It has to be worked through. We have no choice. We never did this for any disease in history before and the press has us running now...Yes this is what the press has instilled into our leaders. Meanwhile FB has just become the safest and most socially acceptable way to communicate. We have a problem. wrote by a friend Les Tokar !
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have free HBO this weekend, and Bill Maher was on, and he maybe had a dozen people in the audience. He normally will show them, but did not in this episode this Friday. He did state he "may" be on next Friday but was not sure. I don't like the guy, but I listen to see what the other side is saying. I still blame all this on the media hype. Just think when there is a real catastrophe.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Wait, blame what? people staying indoors, etc? Thats what people should be doing. The more we isolate now to stop the spread, the quicker it's all over. The objective is to not have a ton of sick people.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Reno, I disagree with you. We need to limit the spread. Staying home (if possible) avoiding crowds, is the only way to prevent a spike that would overwhelm the medical system and supply system.

Right now it's just an inconvenience. It would be a disaster if hospitals were all packed with severe cases and turning people away. We're trying to avoid that.

If we're lucky a couple of weeks is all it would take (one incubation period).

I don't know why you think China just 'worked through it'. They restricted people's movements even more than would likely be tolerated in this country, for more than a month - even arresting people who refused to stay off the streets. Businesses were completely shut down. That's why they're getting past it.

Exec: Media hype? Even Trump has stopped using that excuse and gotten serious about it (maybe only because he's worried about polling numbers, but that's fine with me). The news side of Fox News has also been reporting on this fairly accurately.

This could easily get out of hand. But sure, believe Sean Hannity's conspiracy theories instead of experts on infectious disease. What could possibly go wrong?

Oh wait, here's an example! Iran, who's leaders completely failed to do anything, and now they're digging mass graves: https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-digs ... eport-says

Do people on the far left use any excuse to pick on Trump? Sure. That doesn't mean everything in the mainstream media is a fabrication.

BTW: You guys, please ignore the pundits shows (left or right) that's not news. That's opinion and entertainment. Bill Maher and Sean Hannity are entertainers (and both idiots). If you think Bill Maher represents the average liberal than you are going to be pretty confused. I would recommend PBS News Hour for a liberal perspective. When I want to hear 'the other side' I watch Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday, not Hannity.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I hate to say it, but the Darwin principle is at work here. Iran proved that nicely. Anyone who doesn't take basic precautions will join the Darwin list this year. Worse, they'll put the rest of us at risk.

I am surrounded by the worlds largest population of retirees, some in poor health, and I don't need to be responsible for infecting any of them.

I have a 97 year old parent at home, and a friend staying with us who is on oxygen for a breathing a disorder unrelated to this (both high risk for Covid19), and I can tell you I am dead serious about this since if either of them get it, they are likely dead. I'm not TOO worried about me and my wife - we're strong and healthy and would probably fight it off like a bad cold.

If I have to shop, I'm shopping off hours. I'll go to my mail box once a week instead of three times a week.

Fortunately I'm semi retired and can manage most of my remaining clients remotely. We're eating at home for the next two weeks (normally the wife and I love to eat out). I don't mind using doordash for an occasional home delivery being that there's no reported cases here yet. We're not in prepper mode yet but I do have an additional 2 weeks of emergency canned goods and water that I restocked in January for hurricane supplies (yeah I do that every year) on top of what's already in the fridge and cupboards, so I kind of laughed at all the idiots cleaning off the shelves at the last minute. They're the same ones who do this right before a hurricane.

I'm wiping everything people touch in the kitchen, bath, and all door handles with Clorox wipes daily because we have nurses visiting, a couple of people who work for us, and I still have to go out occasionally. But I am going to be damned if I will bring something back that will risk the life of anyone in my home. If by some chance I get sick, since I'm the one getting the most outside exposure, I'll move into the guest house.

As a bonus, this gives me more time to catch up on Steam Games I haven't played yet :P