Moon Landing - Neil's comments on running low on fuel

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

Moon Landing - Neil's comments on running low on fuel

Post by Executioner »

I'm sure most of you know that Apollo 11 decent to the moon surface was running low of fuel. You can hear Buzz say 1 minute remaining. They landed with 30 seconds left.
According to astronaut Gene Cernan, Armstrong’s longtime friend — who became the last man to walk on the moon during the Apollo 17 mission in 1972 — Neil downplayed the idea about being concerned that the module’s fuel tank was about to run dry.

“I was with Neil once in Afghanistan and I remember walking into this room with him filled with a bunch of young Marines,” Cernan told PEOPLE during a 2016 interview, shortly before his death.

“I remember this tall kid with an M1 rifle slung over his shoulder approached and asked, ‘Mr. Armstrong, weren’t you nervous flying over the moon with all those rocks and craters, knowing that you only had a few seconds of fuel left?’ ”

Armstrong grinned at the young soldier.

“Well, young man,” Cernan recalled Armstrong saying, “Everyone knows that when the fuel gauge says empty, there’s always a gallon or two left at the bottom of the tank.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/apo ... 53522.html