Red-Eye Peeps: Anyone interested in setting up & maintaining a server?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Red-Eye Peeps: Anyone interested in setting up & maintaining a server?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Got a friend of mine that works for a company in Davie, FL. Right now they lease a Server 2012 instance on some local IT company's datacenter.

They aren't happy with them and would like to move to an in-house physical server. Server is mostly for file sharing, backups, email (via exchange). They'll want some kind of local/cloud backup combo. Sounds like they use Quickbooks with two users, but I'm not sure if that's hosted on the server or on a local workstation. I suspect that it's just local.

My friend is the tall gal I've brought to a few of the LAN parties last couple of years I was in Miami. She's tech savvy, and runs their office and acts as in house admin.

They'd like to get some quotes. They're fully aware that having their own server means making sure it's locked down, kept updated, and that someone needs to come in and service it regularly.

PM me with your phone number and I'll pass it on to her. Would like to give her 2 or 3 names.

I'll also ask on the RE Facebook page.

Thx.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Red-Eye Peeps: Anyone interested in setting up & maintaining a server?

Post by Losbot »

Only girl I remember from the LANs was Kat.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

How many staff are in this office?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Six that use a computer.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I've discussed with them that exchange is a POS and they really don't need the pain of maintaining a server. As Alex suggested on Facebook, Office 365 Business, and a cloud or local file share would probably be all they need.

Anyone interested in taking them on as a client, or can you recommend someone?

Thx

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

I was going to say (being an Exchange guy)...no way would I recommend that small of a shop run an Exchange server. O365 Business Essentials or Premium and be done with it. I don't have time to support them, as I could only help off-hours and weekends, but that's not enough during a business hours issue. Definitely talk them out of on-prem Exchange though. It's not a POS ( ;) ) but needs too much care and feeding for what they would get out of it.