What it's like in a scam call center

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

What it's like in a scam call center

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Re: What it's like in a scam call center

Post by Pugsley »

So Microsoft is closing and you get a refund? How stupid are people. If MS was closing I think it would make the news....
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sadly, yes, mainly retirees, sometimes with early senile dementia. These scammers can be very convincing and can also scare the hell out of you.

I've trained most of my clients not to fall for this stuff but occasionally somebody falls for a tech support scam. At least I've trained them well enough that when they do something stupid and they have some doubts about it afterwards they call me. They're often embarrassed to admit they've given someone money. The first thing I tell them to do is call their credit card company and reverse the charge. Then change the credit card number. Credit card companies are used to these scams and I've never had anyone have a problem reversing a charge.

The ones that can be really problematic is if they talked you into doing a bank transfer or Bitcoin transaction. Then the money is gone.

My investment broker has told me some horror stories about clients that have fallen for this stuff - especially scams about children or grandchildren in trouble. These guys will know your children's names and where they live and convince you you need to pay some bail money or something.

He told me a story about one lady who had gotten conned out of a $100k. After cleaning out her savings account she went to the broker to try to get more money out of her investment savings and that's when he got involved & called the police.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah.. some people just have no common sense. I sill get the car warranty calls but i never have time to answer them. I want to then ask drag them out and say I did not know I had one and had been paying out of pocket but kept all the receipts and can they back pay me.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

LOL