Viking Sky cruise ship engines failed because of low oil levels, maritime official says

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Viking Sky cruise ship engines failed because of low oil levels, maritime official says

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Why were the oil levels in the tanks low on a new ship? This screams of some bean counter trying to save money by not topping off the tanks.
The NMA indicated in a press release that while oil in the tanks was relatively low, it was within set limits. But as the ship crossed rocky seas, movement of oil in the tanks triggered an alarm. Norwegian media reported gusts up to 43 mph and waves over 26 feet.

"The heavy seas in Hustadvika probably caused movements in the tanks so large that the supply to the lubricating oil pumps stopped," Alvestad said. "This triggered an alarm indicating a low level of lubrication oil, which in turn shortly thereafter caused an automatic shutdown of the engines."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/c ... 288348002/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: Viking Sky cruise ship engines failed because of low oil levels, maritime official says

Post by Pugsley »

Seems legit. I would think the engineer would be able to override it and just manually watch the oil pressure gauges.
Err
Life Member

Re: Viking Sky cruise ship engines failed because of low oil levels, maritime official says

Post by Err »

It's so odd that you'd risk a ship and lives over a few grand in oil.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Don't ever put anything past the bean counters and what they will do to save beans.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

I thought things like that were pressurized to avoid movement causing these types of issues.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

No it would either be a dry sump or the sump would have baffles in it to keep the intake to the oil pumps submerged. But even those two methods have limits on how low the oil can get.