Looking for new job

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Looking for new job

Post by Losbot »

Just posting here in case anyone happens to know of an IT Manager/Admin or Network Manager/Admin position in the South Florida area. Broward / South Palm area preferred.

I've got a week left here and then my position is being outsourced to some a-holes called Western Digitech, despite all the negative things I've been told about them from prior clients of theirs. Management thinks they'll do a better job despite having nobody onsite and this place requires a lot of hand holding. Seems destined for disaster.

Oh well. I haven't done an interview in like 7 years. lol
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ack. Sorry to hear about that.

I love attorneys. They're cheaper than accountants. I had a big attorney's office as a client several years ago, and they constantly complained they couldn't continue to afford my services.

Which was all a little hard to stomach when you compare my $70/hr labor rate versus their $350/hr labor rate...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Good luck finding a job. For interviewing, be ready to answer questions relating to your failures or difficult situations or people. I personally think such line of questioning is stupid and refuse to ask them. However, this line of questioning is the current HR and Middle Management flavor of the month. Over the past few years, questions concerning qualifications have been moving toward "gotcha" questions. I think these questions tell me nothing other than that the interviewee and give the answer that I want to hear.

Examples of questions you'll probably be asked:

-Can you think of a time where you had to deal with a difficult person at your previous workplace and how did you handle it?

-Tell me about about a task where you were late or were unable to complete on time. What did you do to make sure you could or would do if the situation presents itself again.

-If you are performing a procedure with a coworker that has been there longer than you and they skip steps in the procedure stating that, "this is always how we do it," how do you respond?

Be sure to ask lots of questions about the company you are interviewing for when given the opportunity. Ask about their review and compensation schedule. Ask if they still do performance reviews (these are archaic and many companies and dropping them). Ask about benefits including Health Insurance, retirement, and vacation. Many companies now have "Wellness programs" that are optional but must be completed in order to get discounts on health insurance. Find out what their policies are for Family Leave and such too. I'd also ask how the position you're applying for became available. You may or may not be able to glean if your potential supervisor is going to be an arse or not.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Which was all a little hard to stomach when you compare my $70/hr labor rate versus their $350/hr labor rate...
There's 20 attorneys at my office and they bill more than my annual salary, in just 2 days. How's them apples? These guys are in the $450-600/hr range.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Thanks for the tips Err.
Been a damn long time since I've done this. Ugh!

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Err wrote:Good luck finding a job. For interviewing, be ready to answer questions relating to your failures or difficult situations or people. I personally think such line of questioning is stupid and refuse to ask them. However, this line of questioning is the current HR and Middle Management flavor of the month. Over the past few years, questions concerning qualifications have been moving toward "gotcha" questions. I think these questions tell me nothing other than that the interviewee and give the answer that I want to hear.

Examples of questions you'll probably be asked:

-Can you think of a time where you had to deal with a difficult person at your previous workplace and how did you handle it?

-Tell me about about a task where you were late or were unable to complete on time. What did you do to make sure you could or would do if the situation presents itself again.

-If you are performing a procedure with a coworker that has been there longer than you and they skip steps in the procedure stating that, "this is always how we do it," how do you respond?

Be sure to ask lots of questions about the company you are interviewing for when given the opportunity. Ask about their review and compensation schedule. Ask if they still do performance reviews (these are archaic and many companies and dropping them). Ask about benefits including Health Insurance, retirement, and vacation. Many companies now have "Wellness programs" that are optional but must be completed in order to get discounts on health insurance. Find out what their policies are for Family Leave and such too. I'd also ask how the position you're applying for became available. You may or may not be able to glean if your potential supervisor is going to be an arse or not.
LOL so true! I had to deal with that crap also when I was hiring for calibration, but after asking their stupid HR questions, I had 15 minutes left to ask my questions which were related to their resume they submitted. If they said they are able to calibrate this widget, tell me how it's done.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Executioner wrote:LOL so true! I had to deal with that crap also when I was hiring for calibration, but after asking their stupid HR questions, I had 15 minutes left to ask my questions which were related to their resume they submitted. If they said they are able to calibrate this widget, tell me how it's done.
I recently interviewed a woman for an entry level lab position. This was her third interview at our company because the other two supervisors thought that she'd be a better fit in my department. I skipped the HR questions and focused on her education and skills. Then I took her through the lab and showed her what she'd be doing and asked her if she was interested.

I had a total of 8 resumes to review for this job. She was the only one I called in. It's really difficult to fill technical positions with people who wish to stay. Once essential thing science education leaves out is the tedium of working in the lab. I've noticed Millennials tend to tire quickly with a year or two and leave.