Living In The Past! Some Countries Are Still Using The Metric System!

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

LOL

While we Americans live with the conveniences of the modern world right at our fingertips, it’s sometimes easy to forget that many parts of the world are deprived of the innovations we’ve seen in the fields of engineering, math, and science. Perhaps most shocking is the fact that even in 2015, many countries around the world are still using the metric system.

And it’s not just Third World, economically deprived countries we’re talking about here. People across Europe, Asia, Australia, South America, Central America, Africa, and Canada are all being forced to deal with this outdated system of measurement. Unbelievable!

All of this means that children are being taught in these countries’ schools to view the world in meters, liters, and degrees Celsius. In fact, if you were to try to use inches, pounds, or gallons to describe something, many of these children would look at you in tragic confusion.

So, it’s time we tell the governments in these 192 countries to stop depriving their citizens and to get off the metric system once and for all. Let’s face it: We can convert between units all we want, but at some point, our world will have to adopt a universal system of measurement.
------------------------------------------

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

LOL, I remembering traveling to England and assuming that they used the metric system. I was one slow driver till I got learned.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Since I work in the field of metrology (science of measurement), almost all of our calibrations are done using the metric system. I still remember the attempt in the late 70's to try and adopt to the metric system on the freeways and highways. Failed big time. I think we along with 2 other countries in the world still don't use the metric system.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I wish we would just drop the imperial system. It is so complicated. 12" to a foot. You need math just to work in the same system.

convert 13.5' to inches then convert 13.5 meters to MM.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]