What's the deal with Anand's Forums and Yahoo?

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
Executioner
Life Member

What's the deal with Anand's Forums and Yahoo?

Post by Executioner »

Because of all the spam, I finally got another new email account with my new Verizon DSL connection. I'm very reluctant in giving this email out to just anyone, including forum boards. So I created a free Yahoo email account for all activity on the net. Every board that I belong to accepted it with no problems except for Anand's.

All this came about when I tried to change my email in my profile to the new Yahoo account. It was rejected. I even received an email from a moderator at Anand's to my Yahoo account stating that Yahoo or Hotmail was not accepted. So I tried the diplomatic approach and explained that I was not your typical crack pot 13 year old kid with spamming and hacking abilities. I told him that I began posting at Anand's site when he was still 15 years old back in 97-98. Even with all my explanations on why he should accept my Yahoo email, he said:
Due to abuse in the past a majority of the free email providers (hotmail, yahoo, etc) have been banned. Unfortunately, there are no exceptions to this banning since the entire @yahoo.com range is banned.

Thank you,

AnandTech Moderator
WTF? They can't even make exceptions to the rule for trustworthy people? I only go there to buy and sell pc hardware if I can't find it here, but jeez, what is up with this lame rule.
dadx2mj

Post by dadx2mj »

I imagine they feel they are just too big to have to or want to make any exceptions to the rules they have. Unless of course it suits their fancy.

BTW just looked at your profile we are practically neighbors.
UberNeuman
Golden Member

Post by UberNeuman »

They've got a lot of people posting at their site... If they bend the rules for one, then they'd have to bend them for others who've been around for awhile...
two slow

Post by two slow »

amdmb is the same way if you trade there. for their forums you can use a free e-mail account but to trade you have to use an isp account.
<marquee><span style="width: 100%; Filter: Glow(Color=#3333FF, Strength=2)">I was here</span></marquee>
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

Just another good reason for people to come here to trade :D

renovation

Post by renovation »

Originally posted by nitro237
Just another good reason for people to come here to trade :D
i fully agree with nitro - dam i do that a lot :)
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Originally posted by dadx2mj
BTW just looked at your profile we are practically neighbors.
What part of SC?

I agree, but there is not that much traffic here. I normally buy stuff 98% of the time. I'm just concerned about my email addy being scanned or harvested for more spam. That is my only objection to supplying my email address. It's great to have zero spam in my box. Hell, even the Yahoo account I only get one spam a week. My old email addy would get 40-50 spam messages every day.
sbp

Post by sbp »

What about the free pcabusers.net email?

The AnandTech faq says nothing about that.
Jim Z
Golden Member

Post by Jim Z »

They can't even make exceptions to the rule for trustworthy people?

you're lucky you even got a response. When Comcast switched from @Home to their own service, Bananatech banned all accounts with a home.com e-mail. I sent multiple e-mails all to no avail.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Originally posted by sbp
What about the free pcabusers.net email?

The AnandTech faq says nothing about that.
I had no idea that PCA had a free email. I guess I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Here ya Go..

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

PCA Email Hope that works.. eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Slugbait
Golden Member

Post by Slugbait »

If I remember correctly, Hoy had something to do with the decision to ban free email addresses.